Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Western Shooting Journal March 2015




Western Shooting Journal ran my story about Extreme Benchrest in their March issue. The magazine is on the newsstands now, or, I think, you can find individual copies on Ebay or electronic subscriptions at the magazine’s web site.


The article has short interviews with Andrew Huggett, Fredric Axelson and Timm MacMurray.
I have worked with two editors at WSJ and both wanted stories as opposed to the airgun performance reviews we often see. For this article, they wanted people to be up front. I think there is an important lesson there.


Some of my friends get confused when I try to separate an article from a story. Think of it this way:  there is a human dimension to air guns that goes far beyond the data we use when we airgunners talk among ourselves. Many firearm shooters have a mindset of “I have heard that airguns are different, now”, and that’s all they know.  Airgunning has to be more than feet per second and foot pounds of energy if we are going get thru to others how important our sport is to us. Stories are people, shooting when the clouds are spitting snow, and watching your pal’s field target fall into the grass at 55 yards. I found this important for reaching out to readers, and to editors as well.


Brad Toyer, American Airguns web site, ran my piece on the Farco Air Shotgun. I met him at the Field Target Nationals a few years later and he said, “Most people send me an article, but you sent me a story”.


Hot Diggity Damn!


Ron

If you would like to make a comment, please click on the word "Comments" below.

No comments:

Post a Comment